- Closing date:
- Job code:
- Date posted:
- Regulatory and Legal
About Insurance and Pensions Supervision
The Insurance and Pensions Supervision is responsible for the prudential supervision of insurance companies, insurance intermediaries, retirement schemes, retirement funds and retirement service providers. The team employs professionals with a varied background and comprises skills relating to insurance, pensions, accounting, legal, quantitative analysis, actuarial, compliance and others.
The eventual appointee will be joining the Regulatory and Legal team and will be reporting to the Senior Manager – Regulatory & Legal within the Insurance and Pensions Supervision-Unit. The individual will be expected to carry out the following tasks:
- The development of legislation relating to insurance and pensions licence holders to address market developments and legislative changes arising from EU Legislation in these sectors.
- A marked level of involvement in work related to the periodic reviews of Insurance and Pensions related legislation and Rules. It also involves the active monitoring of local and foreign developments and issues that would give rise to this exercise.
- S/he will also be involved in work related to preparing responses with regards to European institutions’ legislative proposals as well as eventual transposition into Maltese legislation.
- Assisting with compliance issues emanating from the ongoing supervision process of insurance and pensions services licence holders and of licensed retirement schemes.
- Provide support to the Unit in relation to the application of laws, regulations and rules relating to Insurance and Pensions.
- Any other ‘ad hoc’ assignments related to specific regulatory and supervisory issues that arise from time to time and to report on the outcome of such assignments as may be appropriate and necessary.
- S/he may also be involved in on-site compliance visits
- To attend sittings at the Tribunal and Court with the Legal function, as necessary.
We are looking for candidates with solid academic background in law, ideally with a specialisation in a financial services related discipline.
The role calls for an academic qualification in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level.
The applicant should also possess a minimum of three (3) years working in a legal environment, ideally in a related area. Candidates with longer working experience relevant to the role will be preferred.
How to apply
or query for further information
Candidates are to forward a copy of their Curriculum Vitae (C.V.) and an accompanying covering letter providing the motivation for the application to [email protected]
Other important information
The MFSA is an Equal Opportunities Employer as certified by the NCPE (National Commission for the Protection of Equality) and is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will take care to avoid any form of discrimination in its recruitment procedures. The MFSA reserves the right to withdraw this call at any time and not to select any of the Candidates.
It is the responsibility of applicants in possession of qualifications awarded by Universities and other similar institutions outside Malta to produce a recognition statement on comparability of qualifications issued by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC). Applicants should do so preferably at application stage or otherwise at the preliminary interview should an applicant be selected for such interview. Details can be obtained by accessing the National Commission for Further and Higher Education website on www.ncfhe.org.mt under MQRIC heading.
The MFSA shall ensure that any processing of personal data is in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation), the Data Protection Act (Chapter 586 of the Laws of Malta) and any other relevant European Union and national law. For further details, you may refer to the Data Protection Policy on the MFSA webpage www.mfsa.mt.
Candidates are to note that the submission of any false statement/s or omission, even if unintended, may lead to the cancellation of their application and may render the candidate’s appointment liable to termination.
Furthermore, please note that candidates may be asked to submit any documentation in support of the information provided, including but not limited to, proof of qualifications and Police Conduct Certificates.